Sunday, October 11, 2009


Yo, Poppa Yo! Neo Soul Artist Dwele Discusses Loss and Life

by Ramon Shiloh

Dwele, a Neo Soul singer, songwriter and record producer, creates music that resonates with an introspective association of interlacing strands from everyday life. His passion for songwriting and his entrepreneurial spirit were born from the loss of his father at the tender age of ten and an old ambassador of the streets, both of whom made their own unique contributions to helping Dwele find his voice.
“If someone is going through something and you talk about it in the song, along with the vibe, I feel I’m giving the listener relative feedback from the heart. Especially with relevant issues taking place today,” Dwele explains.
When Dwele dropped by Seattle’s The Triple Door in mid-August, ColorsNW had the chance to chat with the three-time Grammy-award nominee about his music, life, loss and love.

Growing in Tune

Born Andwele Gardner, Dwele was raised on the west side of Detroit, Michigan, in a musical family. At the age of six he began playing the piano, only to later take up the trumpet, bass and guitar. Even though he considers himself an emcee first, being able to manage his image as a prolific musician is what Dwele loves.
His father, Robert, a doctor by trade, but also a drummer and church organist, passed down his passion for music to both him and his younger brother, Antwan, who Dwele describes as “a hell of a trombone player.” Dwele also credits his mother as a “big inspiration who supported me through everything. She did everything in her power to usher my life in a positive way through music, then and now.”
Through the years, Dwele’s musical style has been forged in the path of provocative African American entertainers who came with straightforward sounds of verse, chorus, bridge and hooks to develop the origins of Neo Soul in the late 1960s and early ‘70s. Like his contemporaries D’Angelo, Erykah, Angie Stone, Musiq Soulchild and A Tribe Called Quest – whom he cites as his greatest inspiration – Dwele’s lyrics are substantive, weaving relevant stories of remembrance, romance, infidelity and love into each of his songs.
Still, the smooth-jazz crooner is in a league of his own, delivering subconscious emotion to accompany the syncopated percussion breaks and swooning isolated notes, fusing nostalgic episodes of vintage flair through classic soul, jazz, funk and hip hop.
“I look at my music as if it’s a little bit under the radar, which is special, because I know the people who are checking me right now are people checking the music, or what the music is,” says Dwele, noting the importance of a fan base that is always offering constructive feedback. “It’s not because I’m the hottest thing right now. It also means the people listening and supporting my music will be around for a while, taking that journey with me.”
Dwele is no stranger to hard work in order to achieve success. The first 100 copies of his demo “Rize”, which was recorded in his bedroom, sold within a week’s time among Detroit’s underground hip hop patrons. Then, while playing a gig at Café Mahogany, he caught the attention of Slum Village, who recruited him to sing the hook for their hit single “Tainted”. This paved the way for his debut album, “Subject”, which was released in 2003 under Virgin Records.
Two more albums would follow – “Some Kinda” in 2005, which features nine tracks written and produced by Dwele, and “Sketches of a Man” in 2008, which was released under his current label, RT Music Group/Koch Records. Self described as an amateur painter, several of Dwele’s acrylic sketches are even showcased in the CD packaging of the 2008 release.
Along his journey, he has collaborated with such notable artists as J Dilla, Common, Bahamadia, Foxy Brown and Kanye West and even nabbed a Grammy nod in 2008 for his cover of Earth, Wind & Fire’s “That’s the Way of the World.”

Discovering Your “Some Kinda”

Dwele’s success hasn’t come without major bumps in his life. Perhaps the biggest influence on his musical genius was the loss of his father, who was murdered at the age of 37 just outside his family home while a young Dwele watched through the window. Dwele explains his motivation to put the hours he does into his music might not have happened had it not been for this loss.
“My father was one of my inspirations for allowing my musical journey to take shape. If it wasn’t for him purchasing a keyboard for me before he passed, I don’t think I would have got into music. I look at that experience as a way of keeping a part of him with me by continuing and learning through different encounters of my life musically, perfecting my craft and eventually putting my emotions into music. So, even through tragedy, I think something good came out of it.”
Dwele observes that in this short time on earth, if you were meant to accomplish things that will give you a positive platform in life, you must take advantage of it. This philosophy contributed to the evolution of “Some Kinda”, Dwele notes on his website. “At the end of the day, it all comes down to what you’re leaving behind on this earth, what kind of love you’ve left for the people in your life. After my father’s passing, I realized that by introducing my brother and me to music, he was sharing his ‘Some Kinda’ love. It’s about discovering what your ‘Some Kinda’ is.”
He explains this is especially important because “you just never know how things will turn out.” For example, at the height of Slum Village’s career in the mid-1990s, J Dilla emerged as one of Detroit’s hottest music producers, collaborating with Common, Busta Rhymes, The Pharcyde, Janet Jackson and many more top artists of the era. Sadly, J Dilla’s life was cut short on February 10, 2006, after being diagnosed with Lupus and Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura (TTP), a rare blood disorder. Three years later, fellow group member Baatin passed away at the age of 35 from unknown causes, deeply affecting the Detroit hip hop scene.
Another big influence on Dwele’s life was an elder on the block where his family lived, who went by the name Poppa Yo. A profound philosopher and ambassador of the streets, distinguished for his streetwise wisdom and sound judgment, Poppa Yo, who witnessed the murder, provided Dwele with a link to his father’s past.
“He always had crazy stories and knowledge for us. I came to find out that he was my father’s friend and it was always good to hang with Poppa Yo and my little brother because he had stories about our dad,” Dwele recalls.
Dwele opens his debut album “Subject” with a cameo by Poppa Yo, who offers up a few words of his wisdom on the fundamental rule of how to live smart. Dwele approaches him saying, “Yo, Poppa Yo, I know you got that knowledge for me.”

“Well, I’ve lived over 70 years and I didn’t get that way by being a fool,” Poppa Yo responds. “I don’t think. I mean, I’ll tell you the truth, I don’t want to lie to you young cat ‘cuz there is no point in lyin’. I figure if I could tell somebody and help them, I’d tell them. If you wanna listen, you listen. If you don’t, go ahead on and take your knowledge and go on ahead.”

Dwele says he embraces the understanding that truth and knowledge go hand in hand. After Poppa Yo’s death in 2005, Dwele paid tribute to him in a very sincere way on “Some Kinda”.
“Starting a song out for him on the first track of ‘Some Kinda’ was like coming full circle,” explains Dwele’s executive producer, Ron Estill, who has been with Dwele on every step of his journey. “He was a great, great old gentleman storyteller. He was a man who would be sitting in his truck in the driveway and people would go by and say ‘what’s up.’ So, Poppa Yo played a very intricate part in Dwele’s upbringing. What makes the song about Poppa Yo and his voiceover cameos so special is that the song is more of a remembrance of his father. The song really speaks on Dwele being raised protected where he can look up and say ‘Hey, Dad, you’d be proud of me.’”
With musicians who are struggling in a competitive market, branding and seeking a lasting image of their craft, Dwele has continually noted that being true to your art form and staying consistent to your sound has it rewards.

“Get out there and take advantage of the free promotion of the internet. It’s a new day, it’s a new edge as far as how we, as musicians, cultivate our sound and perfect our own outcome. My hope is that my music in general, beyond the actual lyrics, eventually brings people together.”


© 10/7/2009

No comments:

Post a Comment